How to register your POA with us

How to register your POA with us

If you’ve appointed a PoA please let us know, which will allow us to register your PoA on your account. You’ll need to send us the following documents:

You’ll need to send us one of the following:

  • the original Power of Attorney document
  • A solicitor certified photocopy with original solicitor’s signature, company stamp and a declaration on each page confirming the document to be true copy of the original
  • A donor certified photocopy, certified and signed by the donor on each page with the specific wording confirmed on the website

If you have a Lasting Power of Attorney, registered in England or Wales on or after 1 September 2019 then you do not need to send us these documents.
Instead you can send us an access code given by the website when registering your Power of Attorney. These are 13 characters long and start with a V.
We’ll use this code to access the POA online from the Office of the Public Guardian. If you send us the access code, you may need to provide proof of identification and address.

Where do I send the documents?

You can send your documents via email or post. If you’re posting your documents, please send them by recorded delivery so they reach us safely. We’ll send them back to you in this way too.
We’ll contact you to let you know when it’s been done.

By Post

Customer Services, Hodge, One Central Square, Cardiff, CF10 1FS


Frequently Asked Questions

We need either the original Power of Attorney document or full copy document. Please make sure you include all pages. If sending a copy we also need certification which means that the document needs to have each page stamped by the company who’s provided it.

We’re happy to accept a copy by exception or a solicitor certified copy via email.

You can open an account on the donors behalf. You can complete the online application form for your chosen account. When you complete this please use the donor details but provide your contact details. If the doner now resides in a care home, we will need a letter on headed paper from the care home stating the doner lives here. This must be signed by the Care Home manager.
We may ask to see identification documents for you (the attorney).
If you need assistance to complete the form please contact our Customer Services team on 0800 7314076, they’ll be able to help you with your application.

No, as the mortgage is already in place and any changes would need to be made through an independent financial advisor.

You can contact us by phone, email, or letter to manage the account.

Assuming all documentation is correct we can do this within 24 business hours.

Your attorney will need to send us a copy of the death certificate.
For mortgage customers, the account will need to be redeemed which means that the mortgage will need to be repaid. For savings customers, the money in the account will be sent to the customers’ estate which then closes the account.

We will run identification checks through Experian, a credit reference agency, to confirm the identity of the PoA. In some cases, you may need to send us additional documents to verify identification. If we need this we will let you know.

If we request additional identification, we will need to see your passport or driving license (original or solicitor certified copy) and proof of address dated within the last 3 months. This could be a utility bill, council tax bill or bank statement.

You may be able to apply for new or additional borrowing but this has to be through an Independent Financial Advisor. If you don’t have an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA) the website can help you find one.

There are a number of ways a Lasting Power of Attorney can be brought to an end. The person who made the Power of Attorney (known as the donor) can cancel it if they still have capacity.

If the attorney is no longer able, or no longer wants to be an attorney, there’s guidance on the website on how to do this

A Lasting Power of Attorney will also come to an end when the donor passes away.

An Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) can also be brought to an end by the donor cancelling it if they still have capacity or an attorney says they no longer wish to be an attorney. It can also be cancelled with a court order or the Court of Protection can end if they believe the attorney has abused their position or the donor made the Enduring Power of Attorney because of fraud or excessive pressure.