No matter how prepared we are, dealing with death is anything but easy. Get the support you need.

When someone passes away, it can be overwhelming to know where to start, or to work out what you need to do and when. Below, we explain what to expect after you let us know a loved one with a Hodge savings account or mortgage has passed away.

Scroll down for savings and mortgage specific information, and further support.

Savings customers

Contacting us is just one of many things you’ve got to think about, so we promise to try and make the process as quick and easy as possible for you when you’re ready to get in touch.

Below, we’ve explained exactly how the process works once you’ve let us know that a loved one has passed away. We’ve also included some links to resources that you might find useful, and suggested some places to get support.

Notifying the bank

Once you’re ready to start letting organisations, like us, know, there are four stages to the process.

Let us know

One of the first things to do is to tell us. We’ll let you know exactly what information we’ll need, and walk you through the process.

Making changes

We’ll need to make changes to the person’s account, and we’ll ask for some information, like a death certificate, to help us do that.

Security checks

Depending on the amount of money that’s in the account, we might need to do some extra checks – like seeing the grant of probate. We’ll let you know straight away if we need to see this.

Releasing money

You can use money straight from the account to cover expenses like the funeral, or inheritance tax. You’ll then let us know where we should pay the rest of the money.

Get in touch with our savings team

If you'd like to let us know that someone's passed away, you can get in touch with our team who'll guide you through the process of what happens to a savings account when someone dies and the next steps. You can choose whether to call us on 0800 028 3746, or email us below – it's completely up to you.

Email us

Mortgage customers

Single mortgage

If the mortgage is held in a single name, or both mortgage holders pass away then we’ll make contact with the customers’ representatives to discuss redemption of the mortgage. Usually, the outstanding balance is redeemed through the sale of the mortgaged property. On receipt of the full redemption funds, we discharge our interest in the property and its title at the Land Registry.

Hodge will continue to work with the executor/personal representative in order to see the loan repaid.  This could be someone named in the will who has obtained probate or in the case of no will, someone who has obtained letters of administration.  Sometimes they appoint a solicitors to represent them in this process.

Joint mortgage

In a joint mortgage we require the death certificate for the deceased mortgage holder, so we can make the necessary changes to the account. We will also ask the level of ownership each party holds, i.e. whether the mortgage is shared equally between two parties (joint tenants) or a specific share each (tenants in common). If payments were made from an account belonging to the deceased, we might need some different payment details.

Get in touch with our mortgages team

If you’d like to let us know that someone’s passed away, you can get in touch with our team who’ll guide you through the process of what happens when someone dies and the next steps. You can call us on 0800 731 4076 or email using the link below.

Email us

Help with the funeral

If you’d like to use some of the money from the account to pay for the funeral, you don’t need to wait until you’ve got it – we can pay the funeral director directly from the account for you. If you need help choosing a funeral director, The National Association of Funeral Directors provides bereaved people with information and assurance to help them choose a compassionate and professional funeral director they can trust.

National Association of funeral directors

FAQs: What happens to a savings account when someone passes away?

Our friendly team are here to help make the process of closing an account as smooth as possible. For more support, find answers to some of the most commonly asked questions below:

In most cases, the money from the joint bank account will go to the surviving joint account holder. They can take ownership of the bank account and the money in it. The surviving joint account holder will need to contact their bank to let them know what’s happened.

If you think the person held an account with Hodge and you’re the executor of their estate, you can get in touch with us and we’ll carry out some checks to find their information. You’ll need their death certificate, address, date of birth and National Insurance Number.

If their accounts weren’t with Hodge, you can use online services to try to find their accounts, such as My Lost Account or The Death Notification Service.

Usually, the executor or personal representative can access a bank account when someone dies. This person may need to obtain probate or letters of administration to be able to access the account, depending on the bank’s process and the account balance.

You can learn more about inheritance tax and what to do if someone has passed away in our inheritance tax blog post.

Getting some support

There are lots of organisations that can help you and your loved ones with emotional and mental health support. If you need financial support, or you’re not sure how to handle the finances after someone’s passed away, there are several organisations that can help.

Cruse Bereavement Care

Cruse Bereavement Care is a leading UK bereavement charity helping bereaved people with support, information and campaigning.


The Samaritans

The Samaritans are dedicated to reducing feelings of isolation and disconnection that can lead to suicide.


Age UK

Age UK provides support to older people when they have nobody to turn to.


The Probate Service

Taking the stress out of dealing with the death of a loved one


Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice is a national charity offering confidential advice online, over the phone, and in person, for free.


My Lost Account

If you have lost touch with your bank, building society or national savings and investment account, My Lost Account can help reunite you with your money.