Telling us about a change in circumstance

Life doesn’t always go to plan, so if your circumstances have changed it’s important you let us know so our friendly and experienced team can explain what options are available to you.

If you’re dealing with any other difficult life events you want to tell us about, such as losing your job, separating from a partner, retiring, long term illness, or taking on caring responsibilities, we may ask to make a note on your account. This will help us support you in a way that works for you.

Once you have told us about your new circumstances we can provide service tailored to your needs. This may include letting you know about charities and organisations who can help. Rest assured we’ll never share your information with third parties and will always ask for your permission before we make changes to your account.

Power of Attorney

Power of Attorney will allow you to choose someone you trust to act on your behalf or make important decisions for you if you're unable to. Decisions must be made in your best interests so you may choose to put some rules in place beforehand. Decisions about your health, living arrangements or managing your finances could be included. As long as you still have mental capacity when the document is signed, you can put a Power of Attorney in place.

Find out more

Our third party authority process


One off verbal authority

For one-off occasions verbal authority can be accepted if you wish to assign someone to act on your behalf to discuss your account. We will ask you some questions surrounding the account and authority you would like to give. This authority will last until the end of the same working day

Letter of authority

If you’d like to authorise a third party on a continuing basis to discuss your account and act on your behalf, then you’ll need to complete a third party authorisation form, which you can download using the link below. This will stay valid until you tell us otherwise, so you’ll need to get in touch if you’d like them to be removed. Once you let us know, we’ll send you a third party authority form to fill out, this can be via email or post, with a prepaid envelope. If you receive it via email then you’ll need to print it out yourself, complete it and email it back to us. We’ll need to verify details to update your account, and we will let you know if there is any further information we’ll need from you.

You can get further advice and information from the Office of the Public Guardian in England and Wales, the Office of the Public Guardian in Scotland, the Office of Care and Protection in Northern Ireland or your solicitor.

Third party authority form

Savings customers

Our savings customers can authorise a third party to access their account for one off occasions or indefinitely. A third party will be able to discuss your savings account in full, request to access related information and documentation, make payments or agree to payment arrangements on your behalf. You can remove a third party access at any point by getting in contact with us on 0800 028 3746 or by email.

Mortgage customers

Our mortgage customers can assign a third party to act on their behalf for one-off occasions or up to five years. A third party can discuss the mortgage account in full, request access to account related information and documentation, make payments or agree to payment arrangement on behalf of a customer. Get in touch with our mortgages team on 0800 731 4076 or by email.

More help:

Citizens advice

Citizens Advice is a national charity offering confidential advice online, over the phone, and in person, for free.



Moneyhelper helps you gain more confidence in managing your money with free and impartial advice that is backed by government.


Age UK

Age UK provides support to older people when they have nobody to turn to.


The Samaritans

The Samaritans are dedicated to reducing feelings of isolation and disconnection that can lead to suicide.



Carers provides expert advice and tailored support to individuals who have caring responsibilities.



Mind provide advice and support to empower anyone experience mental health problems.