The role will be on a part time basis of 10 days a month, specifically focused around board meetings.
Hodge are a financial services business focused on the retail savings, commercial lending and specialist residential mortgage markets. Working at Hodge is about making a difference. That starts with our purpose: we make life better for customers and society in the moments that matter.
For over 50 years, we’ve shared the same simple mission: to really make a positive difference for our customers and communities. This ethos is in our DNA, as we are 79% owned by a charity, the Hodge Foundation.
The thing that sets us up to succeed with that mission is our people. We are so proud to have exceptional colleagues at Hodge, and we look to develop and invest in our people through their careers. Hodge is at its best when we enable our people to be their best!
We have achieved significant growth over the last few years and have ambitious plans to expand further.
The Company Secretary will be responsible for the efficient administration of the company, particularly with regard to ensuring compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements and for ensuring that decisions of the board of directors are implemented and the governance framework for Hodge is maintained at a high quality.
Responsibilities will include:
- Guiding the chair and board on their responsibilities under the rules and regulations to which they are subject and on how those responsibilities should be discharged.
- Support the chair in ensuring the board functions efficiently and effectively.
- Oversee good information flows within the board and its committees and between senior management and non-executive directors, as well as facilitating induction and assisting with ongoing training as required.
- Develop and oversee the systems that ensure that the company complies with its legal and statutory requirements.
- Monitor changes in relevant legislation and the regulatory environment and taking action accordingly.
- Oversee the day-to-day administration of the company, e.g. maintaining statutory books, including registers of members, directors and secretaries and share transfers.
- Attend JHB, TCT, Hodge Limited Board meetings and the AGM, minuting the meetings and ensuring the final minutes are communicated to the relevant people in a timely manner. Prepare written resolution and Special resolutions as required.
- Provide KYC documentation when requested as well as Audit requests.
- Oversee the timetable of matters for Board and Committee meetings, ensuring that each forum is capable of achieving its responsibilities as set out within its terms of reference.
- Oversee the collation of Board and Committee and AGM packs ensuring that all papers are issued in good time prior to meetings.
- Oversee the maintenance of Board approved documents in a central location, ensuring that they are subject to regular and timely review and communicated in a timely fashion following approval.
- Coordinate and follow up any matters arising from meetings, ensuring timely resolution.
- File annual reports including close links and controllers, high earners and overseas regulators to the regulator.
- Prepare governance reports for the Board and its committees.(Compliance with Capital and Revenue Expenditure, Compliance with UK Corporate Governance code and wates principle, NED fees, Governance updates)
- Review Executive Committee minutes and Governance reports prepared by appropriate deadlines
- Coordinate the annual review of the Board Control Manual for JHB and TCT updating as required.
- Undertake the Annual review of the Risk and Control self-assessment for Cosec and Executive Support.
- Provide governance training to the business as required to ensure consistency across all committees.
What we need from you:
- Legal or Company secretary qualifications
- Previous financial services or banking environment desirable.
- Strong understanding of Business Law
- Extensive experience advising at board level
- Robust organisation and prioritisation skills
- Strong leadership and influencing skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Sound accounting and commercial acumen with the ability to think creatively
In return we offer:
- Based in Cardiff City Centre or remote operating in a highly flexible Hybrid workspace.
- 28 days Holiday with the option to buy more.
- Subsidised Gym Membership.
- Private Medical & Health Insurance
- Extensive learning and development programme
- Generous, personalised benefits package
- Company pension contribution up to 15%
- 4 days on top of annual leave for community and charity work
- Flexible working options
Please be aware that should we pursue your application, all our Financial Services employees will be expected to complete background checks to assess suitability for employment, these include; a criminal record, identity, sanctions, adverse finance, fraud prevention and reference checks to comply with our regulatory requirements.
Hodge is an advocate of being an equal opportunities employer, We believe in promoting equality and diversity which is central to our lives today. We welcome applications from all sections of the community and recognises the value a diverse workforce brings to an organisation.
ESG and sustainability are at the heart of everything we do and serves as a reminder of the responsibility we have to our stakeholders, customers, colleagues and the communities we operate in to use our position wisely. We’re currently exploring different certifications available and have done an initial review of how we think we’d fare, as we see this as a real opportunity for Hodge given our social purpose.