Hodge are a financial services business focused on the retail savings, commercial lending and specialist residential mortgage markets. Working at Hodge is about making a difference. That starts with our purpose: we make life better for customers and society in the moments that matter.
For over 50 years, we’ve shared the same simple mission: to really make a positive difference for our customers and communities. This ethos is in our DNA, as we are 79% owned by a charity, the Hodge Foundation.
The thing that sets us up to succeed with that mission is our people. We are so proud to have exceptional colleagues at Hodge, and we look to develop and invest in our people through their careers. Hodge is at its best when we enable our people to be their best!
We have achieved significant growth over the last few years and have ambitious plans to expand further.
The DevOps Engineer will provide platforms and infrastructure to support the delivery of software by our development teams, pro-actively manage the live cloud infrastructure, and drive forward the architectural vision for Hodge. Engage with internal and external stakeholders to drive continual improvement of DevOps and related practices.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Work with DevOps team to define and implement architectural vision and principles for our cloud infrastructure projects.
- Undertake detailed design work in line with architectural vision and principles
- Work with software and delivery teams to define, manage and implement DevOps vision across development and infrastructure projects.
- Ensure work includes appropriate quality controls mechanisms (e.g. reliability patterns, health-checks and relevant monitoring).
- Understand core architectural patterns and frameworks used by Hodge.
- Engage with external suppliers to ensure platforms integrations align with agreed principles and standards.
- Understand key business processes that software supports
- Working as part of DevOps team, ensure that team activity is managed using appropriate Agile methodologies to ensure visibility, transparency and suitable metrics.
- Work with delivery teams to provide required environments and infrastructure to support project development and undertake delivery to live environments in line with agreed Service Transition processes.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of relevant frameworks, tools and languages.
- Work with delivery teams to ensure relevant defined NFRs (scalability, maintainability, recoverability) are implemented and tested
What we need from you:
- Relevant IT or computer science degree
- Previous experience in commercial software development / DevOps environment
- Experience supporting development of web services in a service-based architecture
- Knowledge of best practice and supporting tools throughout the Software Development lifecycle.
- Knowledge of CI/CD approaches and tools
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies
- Knowledge and experience using Terraform, Kubernates, AWS or similar cloud provision tools
- Previous experience in financial services sector
- Knowledge of cloud database provision
- Experience of Java development frameworks
- Knowledge and experience of developing for AWS or similar cloud platforms
In return we offer:
- Competitive Salary
- Based in Cardiff City Centre operating in a highly flexible Hybrid workspace.
- 28 days Holiday with the option to buy more.
- Subsidised Gym Membership.
- Private Medical & Health Insurance
- Extensive learning and development programme
- Generous, personalised benefits package
- Enhanced parental leave – Up to 20 weeks paid Maternity AND Paternity leave
- Company pension contribution up to 15%
- 4 days on top of annual leave for community and charity work
- Flexible working options
Please be aware that should we pursue your application, all our Financial Services employees will be expected to complete background checks to assess suitability for employment, these include; a criminal record, identity, sanctions, adverse finance, fraud prevention and reference checks to comply with our regulatory requirements.
Hodge is an advocate of being an equal opportunities employer, We believe in promoting equality and diversity which is central to our lives today. We welcome applications from all sections of the community and recognises the value a diverse workforce brings to an organisation.
ESG and sustainability are at the heart of everything we do and serves as a reminder of the responsibility we have to our stakeholders, customers, colleagues and the communities we operate in to use our position wisely. We’re currently exploring different certifications available and have done an initial review of how we think we’d fare, as we see this as a real opportunity for Hodge given our social purpose.